Sunday, May 1, 2011

Zucchini Banana Bread!


After cleaning out my fridge to prepare for a large grocery run, I noticed I had a few left-over zucchini from an over-zealous vegetable splurge.  They were looking a bit tired and were beginning to form some slime.  I put them on the counter along with my other things that were headed for the trash and moved on.  When I was done I noticed three nearly black bananas hanging out in my fruit bowl.  Gross, gotta toss those too...until I had an idea.  I could make banana bread!  So I gathered all the other non-survivors and headed out to the can.  As I was nearly tossing the zucchini...I had another idea.  I could make zucchini banana bread!  And that's just what I did.

The smell this bread leaves in your house while it's baking is intoxicating...beware.



This is what you'll need: (this recipe makes one big loaf or two mini loaves)

3 large bananas (preferably over-ripe...the blacker the better)

1 cup shredded zucchini (I used two small-medium zucchini and shredded in my food processor...oh and I washed the slime off)

3/4 cup white sugar OR pure cane sugar

1 egg (beaten)

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 cups raisins (optional)

1/2 cups nuts (optional)

2 tbs butter (melted)

How to put it together: 

0. Preheat oven to 350

1.  In a medium size mixing bowl, peel your bananas and mash 'em up good. 

2. Shred your zucchini any way you know how.  Food processor works best but if you don't have one I'm sure you could use a cheese grater or do it by hand, just pop on your ipod and go to town.

3. Add the shredded zucchini to the mashed banana along with the sugar and beaten egg.  Mix thoroughly.

4. In another mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  Mix thoroughly.

5. Combine the dry mixture with the wet mixture and stir, stir, stir until everything is mixed. 

6. Now it's time to add the melted butter along with any of the optional items (raisins or nuts) Mix. 

7. Poor batter into a greased loaf pan or two mini loaf pans and pop into the oven for an hour.  I usually check it at 45 minutes but it took exactly an hour to be fully done.  Do the toothpick test if you're unsure. 

8. ENJOY the smell as it's cooking and then enjoy it sliced and buttered when it's done!!  YUM!



*Recipe from http://beautyandbedlam.com/zucchini-banana-bread/

No comments:

Post a Comment